Tapas - Barcelona
Why is it called tapas? Tapas is originally from Andalusia and today all regions in Spain have their own specialty
A tapa is a small portion of any dish and a larger portion is called ración and then you have pinchos & montaditos which is a slice of bread with a tapa on the top - pinchos or montaditos are as well served on a toothpick to keep the tapa together but also very helpful keeping track how many you ate
The word tapas is derived from the Spanish verb tapar “to cover” and thats what they did - the story tells that the taverns in Andalusia served a small tapa - a slice of bread with ham or chorizo which the clients used to cover their sherry to keep away the fruit flies. The salty ham or chorizo also helped activating the thirst so the taverns sherry sales also went up.
Surgesstion for tapas places in Barcelona:
- La Cerveceria Catalana - In the center of Barcelona
- Vinitus - Very good tapas in the center - a favorite!
- Flauta - Barcelona Center
- Pinxus - Another favorite, a little outside the city center
- Lolita - A little less touristic
- Or how about a visit to the "Tapas Street" Take a trip to Carrer de Blai in the Poble Sec area of Barcelona - Here you will find a street with many different small tapas bars where you most places pay 1 and some places up to 2 euros per pinchos - Pinchos/ montaditos are mostly consumed as standing banquet around here - so grab one or two and move on to the next bar in the street - super cozy and very economical
Some popular tapas:
- Patatas bravas: Fried patatos with spicy tomato sauce or/and garlic mayo
- Gambas al ajillo: Prawns in garlic oil
- Albóndigas: Maetballs in tomato sauce
- Croquetas: Filled with e.g bacalao (cod) chicken, ham, cheese or spinach
What's your favorit tapas?